Getting Settled in the United States

On October 9, 2015 By USCIS


This section provides information that can help you adjust to life in the United States and learn about this country, its people, and its government. Make sure to visit the other sections of this site if you need help learning English, finding housing, finding a job, and more.
The links below will direct you to some of the most requested topics for those settling in the United States.

Learn English Online
U.S.A. Learns offers free online lessons for immigrants to improve basic reading, writing, and speaking skills in English.

Apply for a Social Security Number
A Social Security number is important because you need it to get a job, collect Social Security benefits, and receive other government services. The U.S. Social Security Administration provides information on how to apply for a Social Security number and card. This information is also available in Spanish.

Register for the Selective Service
If you are a man between the ages of 18 and 26 years old, you must register with the Selective Service.

Apply for and Renew a Driver's License
You must have a driver's license if you want to drive. Each state has its own agency for motor vehicles. provides links to the agency in your state.

Bringing Your Pet Into the United States
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) provides information on bringing pets, other animals, and animal products into the United States.

Rights and Responsibilities of a Permanent Resident
USCIS provides a list of rights and responsibilities of permanent residents. This site is also available in Spanish.

Information for Permanent Residents
USCIS provides information about how to renew or replace a Green Card, travel as a permanent resident, maintain permanent residence, and more. This site is also available in Spanish.

Change Your Address with USCIS
USCIS provides information on how to report your change of address. Most noncitizens must report a change of address to USCIS within 10 days of moving within the United States or its territories. This site is also available in Spanish.

Change Your Address with the U.S. Postal Service
If you move, you can give the U.S. Postal Service your new address through its website.


Back to Index